Saturday, January 10, 2009

JUST SMILE!

OK, OK…So John Mayer got THIS song totally right as far as I am concerned; 3x5 is one of my favorite songs, as he hits the sentiment right on the nail…

When I was young, ahem, young-ER, I HATED when the moms I knew had to take a picture at every event we went to. It drove me nuts. The last thing I wanted to do was put down my food and stand up (in that bulky sweater that made me look “fat”) and have my grumpy mug burned into glossy paper for all eternity.

But now, I am a mom, I AM that mom…and, I must.take.pictures.of.everything…

I have missed out on almost everything in my life involving my kids because I am constantly behind the camera, documenting what a great time my family is having. It is a sickness that I must feed, trying to capture the Kodak Moments that represent love and togetherness, and the bonding experiences with our rapidly growing and changing children. For example…

The Scene: Home Improvement Store Craft Day for Kids

Me: “OK let’s get set up to make the craft!” (I pull out the camera)

Kids: (pick up hammers and raise them over their heads)

Josh: “NOOOOOOO! Put the hammers down, open the kits up first! Kim? A little help here?”

Kim: “Smile everyone!” SNAP! SNAP! SNAP!

Josh: “Kim, are you going to help here?”

Kim: “Yeeeeeeeeessssssss…just a few pictures!”

10 minutes later other families are done, but us?

Kids: BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Kim: “Look up, smile!”

Josh: “Wait, why did you hammer that nail there, Jacob? Kim???”

Kim: “Hold on!”

Audrey: “Mom will you help me?

Kim: “OK. But smile first!”

Josh: “We need your help here, Kim, we have enough pictures.”

Kim: “BUT I WANT TO REMEMBER THIS!”

Josh: “Remember what? Our daughter sitting there, hammering her sandpaper to the wood?”

Kim: (glares at Josh) “Can you just help Audrey now? I need to change the flash setting.”

Jacob endures many poses with his craft as I snap away, Josh walks over to get a new craft kit to help Audrey since her first one is a hammered mess…

10 MORE minutes later…

Kim: “OK Audrey, smile! Josh, JOSH! Smile!”

Josh: “Where is your purse?”

Kim: “It’s right there, why?”

Josh: “Just making sure you’re paying attention to something around here!”

Kim: (scowling) “Would you please take a picture of me and the kids with their crafts?”

Josh: “Tell me what they made first.”

Kim: “What?”

Josh: “What did we…I mean what did I just make with the kids?”

Kim: “Uh, uh…let me check the pictures hold on…”

This is how I first saw the Cincinnati Zoo, the fireworks at Louisville Thunder, the first time my kids swam in an outdoor pool, and every birthday party they have been to, including their own.

So this year, if we visit any venue or do a project for a second time, the camera will be put down. and I will take it all in. I will hold the nail while Audrey pounds the hammer dangerously close to my blogging fingers. I will sing "happy birthday" without ending with the word, “smile!” I will not force my tired, irritated family to smile and pose for the 15th picture by some pretty landscape or zebra because someone's eyes were closed the first 14 times. And during the new experiences, I will hand the camera over to someone else, so people will see that I am actually there. enjoying myself.

I can at least resolve to do these things, and actually see something with my own eyes and experience the fun. Thanks John, for the sobering reminder to LIVE my life, not just get a picture of it!



3x5 by John Mayer
I'm writing you to
catch you up on places I've been
You held this letter
probably got excited, but there's nothing else inside it
didn't have a camera by my side this time
hopping I would see the world with both my eyes
maybe I will tell you all about it when I'm
in the mood to lose my way with words
Today skies are painted colors of a cowboy's cliche'
And strange how clouds that look like mountains in the sky
are next to mountains anyway
Didn't have a camera by my side this time
Hoping I would see the world with both my eyes
Maybe I will tell you all about it when I'm
in the mood to lose my way
but let me say
You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes
it brought me back to life
You'll be with me next time I go outside
just no more 3x5's Guess you had to be there
Guess you had to be with me Today I finally overcame
tryin' to fit the world inside a picture frame
Maybe I will tell you all about it when I'm in the mood to
lose my way but let me say
You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes
it brought me back to life

4 comments:

w said...

so. the kids built a little boat and a toro lawn mower? that's pretty impressive.

and guess what. i love the entire post and i didn't even have to listen to the song. or read the lyrics. because. you know i don't do so well with the sap.

and what's so wrong with hammering sandpaper to wood? isn't that how you smooth down the wood?

a pic of your blogging fingers holding a nail for audge would be SO CUTE. cute. how cute.

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

I had a good laugh over this because I am the same way!

When we went to Disneyland for Christmas with my mom, Isabel got all cranky at us because she said we were ruining the fun with all the picture-taking. My mom and I are both picture-taking fiends, so I'm sure it was horrible with BOTH of us making her pose for a million pics. Poor girl! After that, we tried to be better about holding back a little.

I also missed out on actually enjoying the 'Its a Small World' ride because I was too busy trying to take pics of everything I saw inside. lol

Ah well....one day they will all be grateful that we are so obsessed with taking photos!

Insanitykim said...

Ahhh see? I knew I wasn't the only one! Thanks for the camaraderie, Crazy! (what should I call you??)

Winn- Yes, homeschooling requires knowledge of mechanics, building of mowers, and the proper use of sandpaper. ;) Glad you got through it and even liked the sappy sapness!
Hmmm...I would lose a finger for sure if I tried to snap a pic whilst holding a nail...blood and gore not my thing so much...ha! Cuteness...vartan...

This Crazy Thing Called Motherhood said...

Umm, why not call me by my name?! Its Beth. lol Sorry, I thought you knew that for some reason. Silly me. But hey, you can call me Crazy too..I always turn and answer to that one! ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin